Friday, May 14, 2010

Woo Hoo Fishing Weekend!!

So I am acutely aware that it has been way too long since my last blog. So allow me to begin with saying thank you too all of those who keep asking me when I am going to write again your love and support are awesome.!! Now I do have several very well grounded excuses for my lack of sharing lately. I have taken on a new hobby which I have discovered is now consuming most of my time and energy. I have even let my crops wither on Farmville in my pursuit of my new hobby...thank you Mary for using your unwithering powers to save my butt! Yet I can say this is not my fault I total want to blame the network NBC (no not for the whole Conan O'Brion / Jay Leno Thing) but because of that new show "Who Do you Think You Are?" This show prompted my brothers Trent Brent and I to start researching our genealogy. OMG I think perhaps I might have a slightly addictive or compulsive personality. You see it all started off simple enough I got Brent to pay for the membership to Ancestors.com. Of course he had to pay for it I don't have a job! We were going to play around a little see what we could find. I suppose a person with a slightly addictive personality, too much time on her hands as well as an avid lover of puzzles should not have gotten involved in this. Especially being from the family I am from anyone who knows this family knows this is going to be one GIANT puzzle. To tell you this has been interesting would be putting it mildly. The computer search has turned into what I have been told is graving? So you don't know about graving well it is visiting cemetery's doing research and documenting the headstones of all of my dead relatives. The next step in my latest addiction was to visit our local genealogical library in Circleville. Holy crap this place is awesome!! You well maybe not you...but definitely me can dig up soooooo much dirt on the family. On my very first visit to the library I find out Grandpa was arrested during prohibition for bootlegging and possession of alcohol. Ironically this is the very first official record that I obtain a copy of. Not a birth certificate, not a marriage license not even a cool photo, newspaper article or death certificate. The very first surname in my tree in the surname index is a criminal record!! Go figure? The second item on the list says it is a Justice of the Peach record. I think cool perhaps Grandma and Grandpa got married at the court house. Really from the stories I had heard I knew there was probably not a huge church wedding or anything. When I turn to the page record that the index instructed do I find a nice normal marriage record??? Oh hell no..instead I find out while Grandpa was busy getting arrested for possession of alcohol and carrying concealed weapons Grandma was being taken to court repeatedly by the local grocer for charging groceries and then not paying for them. Well I suppose considering the court fines that were being racked up by good ole Gramps she didn't have the money to buy them. So we will blame the man here...don't you think we should? Isn't everything bad on earth a mans fault? Oh don't be like those who blame it on Eve...I am convinced it all falls back on Adam. I mean if a man didn't lose his mind every time he sees a nice pair of ta ta's we wouldn't be in the mess we are in. Plus I find it really hard to believe that any woman ever got a man to do something he didn't want to do in the first place. And another point is so the very first man on earth not only listened too but actually respected Eve's opinion and then followed through with her ideas??? Really??? So then it was just every other man ever born after that that is different? I get it??? Yep...here I go again getting off track. but you have to admit it is really fun reading the ramblings of a person with A.D.D. Well anyway so this first line in the family tree even though it appeared it was going to be really bad actually seem to get a little better the further we go back in the records. I mean this is good right? Not really if you think about it. Because I discovered that instead of like most families that tend to marry up and gain more wealth and status with each passing generation I seem to come from a rare line of people who marry down get poorer more in debt and gain a a reputation instead of status.I have spent so much time on the computer at various library's and cemetery's my husband and children now ask before leaving for work and school if I am going to go hang out with the dead. In fact one night last week when my brother Brent and I were out doing research causing me to not get home until after ten o'clock I was reprimanded by my twelve year old son Peyton. Who upon my arrival informed me that he thought that I had become obsessed with all this gynecology stuff (his word not mine) and that I was spending more time with my dead relatives than with my living ones. To which I responded of course I do first of all they don't talk back to me and second of all I think they actually listen more than the males in my house do. So me being an awful lot like my mother the more they complain about my new hobby the more time I devote to doing it. Now so far I found war hero's, bootlegger, bastards even one who is bastard from her mother...yeah I know seriously? Who on earth unless you are adopted doesn't know who your mother is. Unknown mother on your birth certificate and still an unknown mother on your marriage record and unknown mother on your death certificate. I mean how does that even happen. Come one you give birth and even if you die while doing that (which death is exactly what I was praying for while giving birth to my own) Couldn't the doctor or the coroner or the undertaker, or funeral director ask perhaps the man claiming to be the father what this lady's name is? This would be a question I think most people would ask. Then there is one ax murderer (not a direct ancestor just the brother of one) Shut Up I have to sleep at night. So now when I use my famous line when having a particularly bad day that I may have been an ax murderer in a previous life I will know it wasn't me just a great great great great great uncle that was the ax murdered. He was a seaman who came home from many long months at sea to find his lovely bride doing more than spooning with a young stud. So he grabbed his ax and then put them in the wood chipper. Personally I think I understand where he was coming from. I have already warned Tony that if I were to ever catch him dipping his paint stick in someone else's paint can I would pull a Bobbit on him. Laurena Bobbit is really one of my personal hero's. Finally the women to actually do what I know women for centuries have dreamed about. Then there is another great grandmother of mine that I have parents for a birth record and death record the only problem is I can't find her buried anywhere. She isn't buried with her children...she isn't buried with her husband....she isn't buried with her parents or siblings. She isn't it the family plot of her line she isn't it any of the surrounding counties. I am starting to wonder if perhaps granny is buried somewhere in Millport it has even crossed my mind that I may have played a nice game of kickball on a hot summer day right on top of grandma's unmarked grave. Heck the stuff I am finding out or not finding out nothing would shock me. And my families line of work for the last few generations did have access to a lot of heavy equipment including backhoes? Well folks I have a lot more to say on this and many other stories to share but my eyelids are getting heavy my fingers are slowing down and besides that Tony is in Lake Cumberland fishing and I can actually have complete control of the remotes. Please don't worry though I did have Tony give me a crash training course on how to use each remote I even used post it notes on each one to know what the heck I was doing. I should be able to blog a little more tomorrow though since Tony is fishing, Drake has plans the rest of the weekend. If I can just find someone to take Peyton and my two idiot dogs I will have it made. Now I really have to go...but i will be back soon! Hope you all have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is Funny Funny Funny. And dont wait so long the next time. But you had a very interesting excuse.

    ReplyDelete